8.12.2008

My Friend

My friend Travis. He is so dear. I hope he doesn't leave, cuz I like when he's near!

That was a poem for my friend. He's a neat guy. Yes. Neat. I met Travis about month ago. I squished into a car in an alley near my apartment and there he was in all his skinny art student glory. He told me he liked David Bazan, and bummed cigarettes off his coworker, but he doesn't smoke. Later we watched seven consecutive episodes of "Flight of the Conchords", double dipped chips in the guacamole and sour cream, and camped in a friends backyard. The next morning we woke up at 6am and drove a guy to the airport.

Travis is subtle. He is a master of understatement. He has dirty blonde hair that always gravitates to the center, like an anti-part. I suspect this is by design. His eyebrows seem to be furrowed more often than not, implying some intense undercurrent of braining. He's got blue eyes and a tentative smile. He is always holding back but spilling out all at the same time.

Fun Facts about Travis

1. Travis has had sideburns since he could grow them.
2. Travis only owns two pairs of pants.
3. Travis does an awesome Bob Dylan impersonation.
4. Travis does a not awesome bronx accent.
5. Travis can draw pictures with great skill.
6. Travis likes dingy diners.
7. Travis loves Jesus.
8. Travis is an Olympian.
9. Travis is a storm cloud with a smile on it.
10. Travis rocks the scene.

Travis is only a few blocks away from me. I am really excited that we met because it's like being a kid again having friends in your neighborhood. You can call them up whenever and hang out for no reason at all. Travis and I are good friends because we are purposely aimless. We know we want something, but we just don't know what it is.

In my life it has been so hard to find people to walk beside, rather than follow or lead. I walk beside Travis. God has blessed me with his friendship.

1 comment:

Aftann Kisling said...

Wow, David! Of course I remeber you! Great blog, I can't wait to read more. We are doing great. How about you? Teaching away and loving motherhood. And believe it or not our little man turned out top notch (so far) haha. Take care! (No disrespect to Travis in my random comment.)